
We are liars
We are beautiful, privileged
We are cracked and broken
A tale of love and romance
A tale of tragedy.
Which are lies?
Which is truth?
You decide
Goes the blurb. I bought this book based on the great reviews I'd seen. Hmm.
There's lots of good in this book but I didn't love it. It's a great set up. Old money families are fascinating and we all love a novel set on a private island. Lockhart does mystery really well and it reads like a thriller in parts. It reminded me of The Famous Five books (I was obsessed with them as a child) but The Famous Five grown up and gone wrong.
There is a big twist at the end of the book. I won't spoil it but I have to say I felt a bit cheated by it.
I probably would have liked this book a lot more when I was fourteen because it would have been more relevant to my interests which were:
- Boys
- Dogs
- Dying my hair black
- Fudge
All of which feature heavily in We Were Liars. These are obviously still my major interests but I've read a lot more books now. So, while fourteen-year-old me would have given it a 5, twenty-six-year-old me is giving it a 2.
No comments:
Post a Comment